Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Simple

1sim·ple

 adjective \ˈsim-pəl\
: not hard to understand or do
: having few parts : not complex or fancy

Things can get so cluttered sometimes. I am reminded of this every time I look at our laundry/utility/storage/I-don't-know-where-else-to-put-this room. Some may accuse me of being just a tad OCD...
Are you so OCD that you want it to be CDO so the letters are in alphabetical order? 
No, because that spells Compulsive Disorder Obsessive, and those words are just not organized in the proper way *obsessively washes hands*.
...but I just lean towards the minimal and like to keep things simple. That doesn't mean that the things I choose are easier just because they are simple. It is much easier to press the "on" button on a coffee maker, but it just doesn't have the simplicity (and gorgeous flavor) of a french press. It is simple, not hard to understand or do, and it forces me to be still and focus: the water needs to be the correct temperature, the right amount of coffee needs to be freshly ground... I get to see the beans release their oils and I anticipate that first cup while I wait for the water to become fully infused.

In church, things can easily get out-of-control complicated. Services, prayer meetings, men's groups, women's groups, picnics, Christmas pageants, light shows, fog machines... Not that any of those things are bad, but if it gets to be so complicated that we lose focus on God and put all of our attention towards programs or we are making it difficult for people to understand and connect with God, then it becomes a problem.

Sometimes simple is the way to go.

Simple; the new message series at The Stone Church

That doesn't make it easy. It's really hard to be simple. To chose what program stays and what program doesn't, to organize my laundry/utility/storage/I-don't-know-where-else-to-put-this room, to make french press coffee...

but is simple worth it? Yes.

1 comment:

  1. You've given me something to ponder: simple doesn't necessarily mean easy. hmmmmm. *presses 'on' button on coffee maker*

    ReplyDelete