Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Family That Arts Together...

One of the best things about this job is that I get to create things and work with other people's art quite a bit. While my artistic abilities tend more towards appreciation than creation, I have had the chance to stretch some artistic muscles that have sorely atrophied during my time in college and my previous job (check out this video).

A church plant is a great place to be used because they need people to do everything. That means I get the chance to play music even if I'm no Slowhand (that's Eric Clapton for those of you who don't have a framed album of his hanging over your daughter's bed... see here). I've also been able to build websites, create media and mail-outs, and am on a continuous learning curve when it comes to setting up a room with effective and efficient sound, video, and lighting (now THAT is an art).

I've found that I love making things in photoshop and can easily spend hours working on a project (only to be interrupted by my wife checking on me to see if I've died or if I'm just obsessing).

But my favorite project so far has been putting together a sermon media package that showcases my mom's artwork.

Learn to Fly by Kimberly Ramey

I may be a bit biased (my home is furnished with stolen art from Kim's studio), but this piece worked perfectly with our recent series on forgiveness (and it's use was suggested by persons other than me). If you want to see what we did with her art, check out the gallery page on this site.

Thank you Kim for letting us deface use your art!

4 comments:

  1. I can't think of a better use for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You are the first to comment. You win the grand prize - Learn to Fly by Kim Ramey. We'll get that shipped out to you as soon as possible.

      Delete
  2. Darn! I missed the chance to get that painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, you guys are sooooo funny.

    ReplyDelete