Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Solving Problems

It seems that every now and then we all encounter problems that seem to perpetuate themselves. Problems that just won't go away no matter how much time, energy, or thought power we put into solving them.
Kind of like that Rubik's Cube you never solved? 
I solved it! Removing all the stickers and then strategically replacing them is a solution... 
 It also seems like whenever technical equipment is involved these unsolvable problems arise more and more often. Usually, when the problem is finally solved, I look back over the hours I spent trying to solve the problem and think, "Why was that so hard? It looks so simple now!"

But according to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's character John Watson (when speaking about Sherlock Holmes' deductions), "When I hear you give your reasons... the thing always appears to me to be so ridiculously simple that I could easily do it myself." A comment to which Holmes would sneer at and then promise never to reveal how he came to his conclusions again.

Mostly, these problems arise due to my own lack of knowledge and/or experience in particular areas. Thus, I am constantly seeking wisdom from people far more knowledgeable and experienced than myself. It is a learning curve that keeps me (very) humble.

Recently, I have been putting in some time every Sunday on a particular problem that, on the surface, seems like a very simple endeavor, but, once undertaken, has become a veritable pandora's box. And lately I feel as if I've been dealing with the machine pictured below...

Aptly named "The Useless Machine"

Every time I make some progress, I realize that I have not really done anything at all towards actually solving the problem.

But, when all else fails.... improvise.

And hopefully the improvisation works so well that nobody knows any differently. And, if we follow the advice of Sherlock Holmes and we don't reveal the simple process it took to find the solution, people just may think you know what you're doing.... maybe.


And now for something completely different!
(If you don't know where that quote is from, it makes me sad... and you should watch more Monty Python)

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who has been providing us support over the past few months. We have been overjoyed, humbled, shocked, and not living under a bridge (also, overjoyed and shocked not to be living under a bridge). And while we are still in need of continued support over the coming year, we have been blessed with our first sustainable month!

People who I never expected to give have given us so much, not just through finances, but also through food, encouragement, and prayers. It has spurred us to look inwards towards where we are giving, to whom we are giving, and to make sure that we are as generous with others as everyone has been towards us.

No comments:

Post a Comment